Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Wedding Story: Lisa!

This weeks Wedding Story comes from Massachusetts native, Lisa Carter. Lisa and her husband chose a day time wedding in Newport, Rhode Island. I'll let you tell her story, here's Lisa...


When did you get married?

August 23, 2009

Where was your ceremony? Reception?
Both were at Belle Mer, Newport. Ceremony was on the grass overlooking the water and bridge.

Lisa and her MOH had their hair done by Tina Figueiredo
What made you choose that reception location?
The location. I always wanted a wedding on the water and the views at Belle Mer are beautiful. And just the overall feel of the location.What was your favorite aspect of your wedding?
I loved, loved, loved my flowers (Flowers by Semia) and I am not a flower person. The centerpieces were blue hydrangea and my bouquet was red roses and she did a fantastic job and they were absolutely beautiful.

The bridal bouquet
The Maid of Honor bouquet

The centerpieces. Notice the table numbers? They were playing cards!
Another aspect I loved was how small our guest list (89 final guests) was and how small our wedding party was (MOH and BM only). It made the day less stressful and all the planning much less stressful with no girls arguing! lol :-)

Lisa & her husband with their wedding party during the Best Man's speech
And along the same lines, we had a private ceremony- immediate family only. I wouldn't have it any other way.

What was the best resource you used during the planning process?
TheKnot and I have been working in the industry for 5 years so my experience with other weddings gave me the ideas I ended with, too.

The place cards and menu at each place setting.

What's the one thing you would have done differently?
Definitely would not do an open bar! But I think that's just because of our specific guest list. We had drunk guests, on a Sunday afternoon, by 2:00.

Any advice for future brides?
Don't be afraid to think outside the box. Just because it's in a magazine doesn't mean you have to do it exactly like that. It's you and your fiance's day, make it your day. You will get stressed and you will probably become a bridezilla, but don't overstress the things that are out of your control, no one can control the weather. Prepare for the worst but expect the best. Have fun, be positive and do what you want to. It'll pass by in a flash so enjoy every second of it.

In lieu of favors, Lisa & her husband made a donation to The Jimmy Fund.

Very good points, Lisa. No one can control the weather! But, let's be honest...that didn't stop me from checking it hourly daily the two weeks leading up to the wedding! She's right though; don't let it control your life. Just have a backup plan (and hope you don't have to use it!)


All photos courtesy of Mandy Mayberry Photography


If you'd like to be a Featured Wife or Bride, please email me at legallybride@hotmail.com